Monday, February 12, 2007

John Campbell Quilt Border Blocks

This series was rudely interrupted when my last blog crashed and burned.
I will post a pic of this crazy quilt in progress in a day or two, when I get it back up on the design wall. But in the meantime I will show my progress on the little 4" border blocks that surround the main body of the quilt. I am embellishing them first, one at a time in a slow march around the perimeter, to get "warmed up" for the main work in the quilt's center.
There are 44 of these blocks; I worked on them at Point Bonita and at this point have about 7 to go. Then I will have to face the music! This quilt still has me somewhat baffled...






Hee hee, I had to sneak in a little fabric from "Crazy for Flowers", just for old time's sake.
It is interesting to look at these little blocks "out of context" as mini design problems in and of themselves. But of course they really have their jobs in the overall look of the quilt, one of which is to push this vintage inspired CQ over the cliff into Contemporary Crazy Quilt Land...but not quite. I like the idea of it hanging on and swaying in the abyss between really old and really new.
The blocks are sort of done but of course more can be added to them along the way.

10 comments :

Elizabeth said...

Every one of these border blocks are delightful. I have to confess I'm partial to the next to the last one-- I love that pink line border that takes away the straight line look and the woven fan is great!.

Possibilities, Etc. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Possibilities, Etc. said...

O.K. It worked that time. I wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying your orange/purple/red pieces - the patch with the fabric from Crazy for Flowers. Also am admiring that all that practice with cretan stitch paid off - it is looking good, as is that buttonhole with the wavy effect and beads.

Rian said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty! So shimmery. I love these colors. The little fuschia flowers are quite unique. It's all gorgeous.

Kay said...

I love the neutral, taupey one, but the Crazy for Flowers block is petty too. It's going to be fun to watch this develop.

Linda S. said...

I have to admit to being a lurker here, Allison. I love the floral pieces you have done and your work is beautiful. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog.

Robin said...

This is an enormous challenge, but one that you are certainly equipped to handle. I look forward to seeing the whole picture. Also, the top square takes my breath away. How did you do the dark rose colored flowers?

Good for you sneaking one of your flower prints... No surprise there... and it seems to work fine.

Debra Dixon said...

I wondered what you took to work on at Pt. Bonita--now I know! Nice blocks!

allie aller said...

Glad you like these, gals!
Robin, those pink flowers you asked about are woven into the silk brocade fabric...I didn't have to do a thing!

Susan said...

The blocks are a real feast for the eye. I like your analogy of swaying in the abyss. =)