Sunday, September 23, 2007

Autumn Planting, Take 2

Of COURSE the deer like chard! How could I not know that? The very first night they left nothing but beautiful ruby stalks sticking mournfully up into the air.
So I went back to the nursery and talked them into giving me the rest of their stunted little chard plants to try again. But this time, I was ready for those pesky deer.

Some fencing leftover from the spring was spread over the bed like a blankie right before dusk.

And it worked like a charm.
It sure is fun to have a new garden to attend to as the weather turns to fall!

But there is a bit of stitching going on here, just to keep this textile related.

I love cutting out letters and sewing them down!

And you know me...if there aren't flowers involved, no project is complete! Aren't those red California poppies just the coolest?

11 comments :

Threadspider said...

So unlucky with those pesky deer! But isn't it good to be planting and creating out there with Mother Nature, as well as indoors with the beautiful images of summer flowers around you. Don't you just love September?

verobirdie said...

I'm used to snails eating new plants over the night. Not to deers. So the image is a bit strange and exotic to me. Glad you found a solution.

Vicki W said...

We are having a horribe time with the deer this year. Glad you posted your photos - it's the first solution that I've shown DH that he likes! We plant fall lettuce and the deer have already eaten the first batch. He's going to build one of your wire coverings tomorrow! Thank you for sharing!!

Barbara C said...

I'm glad you thought of a way to protect your fall garden. Your lettering is so even on your applique. I'm sure there are some special techniques involved.

Marty52 said...

That wire covering for the flower bed is ingenious... but, wowzers, that Friends piece is wonderful... the colors are perfect!

JoWynn Johns said...

"....California poppies just the coolest?"

Yes! And so is the beautiful damask (jacquard?)fabric. How will you use this lovely piece?

Deb Hardman said...

What a clever solution to the deer!
I'd never have thought of it! I'm thinking it may help deter moose too, hmmmm.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Very striking! Sorry about your flower bed. It looks like you have found the solution! Enjoy your garden while you can.

Granny Fran said...

I always have to put chicken wire over the catnip or every cat in the world shows up and they eat it down to the roots.

Vicki W said...

Just wanted to post and thank you for this idea. I had the best salad tonight from the abundance of fresh lettuce (under wire) in the garden! You rock!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.