Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Filling In With Beads

The more beading I add to the interior of the patches, the more the cumulative effect has me excited. I still don't plan on beading the fans or the letter "H", but the little border blocks are starting to tell me--insistently--that they want the beading treatment too.

We all know I don't want work on this quilt to end, so I am starting to listen to them. Plus, my favorite local bead supplier, BeadCats, is having an open house this week-end. Normally they only sell online, but before Christmas they literally cover every square inch of surface area in one of their homes with their beads so people like me can come and buy. (I don't know anywhere else locally that has the supply of size 15 seedbeads I am going to need for the border blocks either.) I will be sure and take my camera so you can see the open house in action. It's a lot of fun.

All the black area around the central H is now beaded with flat black #11 seed beads.

The same beads are used in all four corner backgrounds. The spacing is by eyeball...close enough!

Once I got all those boring black beads out of the way, I started to have some fun varying the size and spacing of my colored beads. Much of this was already done; I am now filling in all the patches that are still "blank".

Some of my choices got pretty big, too!

And some of the beads are stacked on those itty bitty black sequins, just for some contrast, and to tie in a little more black.

I still have another day on the interior patches of the central section...and those border blocks won't take that much longer, will they?

15 comments :

Vicki W said...

it was beautiful before but wow, what a difference now!

Anonymous said...

I think your quilt is amazing and beautiful - I cant even begin to imagine the hours (months/years) you have put into this!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Are you challenging me to do this in needlepoint? You know how I love beads. Beads are addicting. (I use the Sundance #14 beads.)

atet said...

I wouldn't count on them being quiet any time soon. You know how it is when fabrics and projects start talking to you!

Susan said...

I love the effect the beads are giving it. The ones on the little black sequins are really interesting. The sound of that open-house is so tempting! I look forward to seeing the pictures, and it's a relief that I won't be there to spend money. =)

Kay said...

Really beautiful, Allie. Are you SURE you don't want to embellish those fans? :)

Barbara C said...

What sumptuous work Allie. The quilt will tell you when it's had enough beads.

Debra Dixon said...

I have found out myself that once you start beading one area, the other areas start looking very naked. Before you know it, everything is beaded. It's a neverending cycle! (but fun) Do you have a special place for this quilt to hang?

verobirdie said...

It is going to be really beautiful, and the main point is that you are having fun!

Karen 's World said...

A person can never put too many beads on a project. I really like what you are doing with the beads.

Rian said...

Oh, so those border blocks are starting to talk to you, are they? Better listen. They always know best.

Can't wait to go bead shopping with you this weekend. What fun!

Ira said...

Great idea, very beautiful.I use only french or colonials knot before. I'll try beads on my next project. What is the size in inches or milimeters of beads you use? We don't use the numbers in Israel.

Marty52 said...

Allie, you must always listen to your quilt and it's blocks. It's only when the conversation starts going both ways that you have to worry! ;0)

Love the all over beading... it really seams to pull it all together. Looking forward to pics of your beading expedition.

Threadspider said...

The beads really make it sparkle. I really like the black on black- the beads make an interesting textural contrast to the fabric.

Ira said...

Thank you for help with beads size.