Sunday, May 31, 2009

Spring CQ...Blue Butterfly

I'm enjoying beading these butterflies!
The top of the quilt needed some attention and final balancing, so one more butterfly flew in to help out.

This design was inspired by a little graphic on a food wrapper...truly!
I had thought the warm red and magenta beads would go in the center of the wings, but that didn't happen.

I'm glad I used the pink fabric for my base, however. It gives a warm undertone to the cool of the blue and silver beads.

All of the butterflies are appliqued on with a simple whip stitch.
It was fun bringing him in for a landing on these African daisies!

Just one more element to go and the embellishment on this quilt is really and truly done...I'll add some Sweet Woodruff "ground cover" along the bottom....

12 comments :

Bunny said...

Your work is beautiful. Love those butterflies.

Vicki W said...

Wow, you can really see the nice effect of the pink once the butterfly is appliqued on to the piece. beautiful!

Cathy said...

The pink underneath the silver beads is just perfect. Must remember that.... What a lovely quilt; I can't wait to see the finished whole. Hugs, Cathy

Debra Dixon said...

Just goes to show that inspiration is everywhere! Lovely contrast of butterfly styles on your piece.

Raspberry said...

I think, perhaps, that that's my favorite butterfly so far - beautiful job!

Sandra said...

The block that it is on is turning out beautifully, and the butterfly is like the frosting on the cake.

Summerset said...

Awww . . . another pretty little butterfly. I love the use of the larger beads for head/body.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is truly a "Happy" quilt - it makes me smile to look at it. Love the butterflies!!

Jean said...

When you talk about your CQing it seems like your talking about your flower garden. Nice...

Barbara C said...

I'm intrigued by the way some of these want to blend in with the background. It mimics butterflies in nature, but it will also get viewers to want a closer look. Very clever. I'm looking forward to seeing th whole piece again.

Susan Elliott said...

The montees in this butterfly are great with those tiny silver bugles...they really come in handy don't they? I can't believe you posted three times since the last time I've been here...

I also like how blue butterfly is on top of your daisies...OK, now THIS is my favorite...

Judy S. said...

Love the butterfly in profile, Allie. So, what food wrapper was that? I'm sure they'd be blown away at your enhancement! I like the way some of your flowers extend onto the adjoining blocks...well, I love the whole thing, actually!