Friday, September 24, 2010

"Hey Cowgirl...."

Ever since I got back from Michigan, things have been hopping on the homefront, so I haven't had much time to stitch.
But I finally finished the project I started a few weeks ago at the cottage. I've loved working on it because my cowgirl is such a cutie. She is also promoting a very great cause: breast cancer awareness.

Some background: My friend Michele Muska is in Marketing Communications for the Simplicity Creative Group...the makers of patterns, trims, yarn, tools...all things we quilters and crafters love.
Michele invited me to join the Designer Bandanna Quilt Challenge for 2010....Simplicity is selling pink bandanna designs with some of the proceeds going to breast cancer research...they will be holding a similar challenge for the general quilting community soon--this challenge for designers is to get the ball rolling.

So as I was holding the pink bandanna in my hand, all I could think about was cowgirls...and one thing led to another....



I did write to Michele to make sure the image I used was o.k.....my cowgirl is saucy and quite lusty....but she's still innocent, too. And most of all, she's healthy...

Hey Cowgirl...
22" X 23"
copyright by Allison Aller 2010

My goal was to present an upbeat message on a serious subject, in a way that would make people smile (and mens' heads swivel!) So all you cowgirls, get those mammograms, you hear?

19 comments :

Honey Lamb and I said...

Love it and it is adorable!

Susan Elliott said...

Wish I was THAT healthy!! I love the heart and pink ribbon charms dangling from her holster. Too cute!!

Now, she might win the great pumpkin contest...

Vicki W said...

She's fabulous and yes, I did!

Cathy said...

Quite a departure for you, Allie! But it’s cute and will certainly be effective. What a fun piece! Hugs, Cathy

Momma Bear said...

Best PSA EVER!

Gerry Krueger said...

What a delightful bit of whimsey for a worthy cause.. She is not only healthy and lusty, she doesn't sag...Great job... Gerry K.

Laurie said...

What a cute idea Allie! Love it! and point taken.

Rachel said...

She looks ever so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!

Devon said...

Love it,,and I did this year...

Debra Dixon said...

Perfect!!

Unknown said...

Love it love it love it!!!!!!! seester

Unknown said...

Love it love it love it!!!!!!! seester

Barbara C said...

Your piece is really wonderful. I love that cowgirl!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Correction: That should be "y'all hear?" This is just pretty cute - she does get a cheerful and hopeful message across. Now let's get research for heart disease in women going! I wish I had known the symptoms years ago.

BarefootThunder said...

I love it!! And I actually just made an appointment this morning!

Summerset said...

Love it - it is perfect for the theme!

FredaB said...

Hi allie

She made me smile.

Had mine last week and all is well.
Will be 11 years in Oct.
Early mammograms work girls so don't hesitate.

Hugs

FredaB

Amy Munson said...

Love the whole pin up girl theme. Great job.

Jeanne said...

That is TOO CUTE. Great idea and thanks for sharing.